I'm sure you have all read Ashton's blog about the trip! The drive truly was not bad at all. I had anticipated much worse, so that was a pleasant surprise. We made stops about every 2 hours to stretch all of our long legs, and we stopped at Wall Drug to walk around thru the shops. The kids thought it was fine at first, but then quickly got bored!
We arrived at the field 4 hours before game time, right when the gates opened. With 3800 people and a sold out crowd, they recommended arriving early. Well, we really didn't need to arrive that early. We took turns saving seats and going for shade and souvenirs. We were told the outside temp was 95 degrees. I really could've gone without knowing that!
The game was good! It really wasn't a blow out like Tom and I had thought maybe it would be. Ash, of course, was bummed because Monica Abbott pitched instead of Cat. Oh, well!
As we were sitting and wasting time, I was reading a free newspaper that told about all of the players on both teams. There was a girl/lady that went to U of MN and was 40 years old. The best softball player (pitcher) to come out of Estherville of all time (and a pretty good friend of mine) also went to U of MN and is 39. So, much to my children's embarrassment, I approached her after the game and asked if she knew Brenda. She said, "Know her, I was her catcher and roommate for 3 years!" OMG!!! So, she gave me her phone number to give to Brenda and thanked me for asking her! Brenda was equally happy to once again have contact with her. It just goes to show--it is truly a small world!!
The pictures are courtesy of John. There really isn't much to look at across South Dakota, and after awhile, it all starts to look the same!



As we were leaving our hotel on Wednesday morning (much too early, according to the kids), Tom says to Ashton, "Wouldn't you just pee your pants if you walked out and saw the USA bus?" Ash is like, "Yeah, right Dad!" So we walk out, and what do we see---

You guessed it-the USA bus! The clerk says, "Yeah, they've been staying there (the hotel right across from ours) since Sunday night." So funny!
2 comments:
I was thinking the same thing-not much different scenery on your trip! Sounds like fun, though!
Funny about Brenda, or "The Big B" like dad would say.
Glad you all made it home safe and full of what sounds like good memories!
Post a Comment