Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Scary

Ash and her friend Kendall went to the high school softball game tonight after school. The game started at 4 because it was a double header and we have no lights on the field. Anyway, I picked them up for confirmation and went to clean the bank.

After I picked Ash up from church, she wanted to drive by the field to see what the score was. We got 4 blocks away and we had to stop for a police car with lights and sirens going. I jokingly said to Ashton, "I hope they aren't going to the diamond!" OMG--they were! We got to the game to find an ELC player laying on home plate with 2 policeman, a spectator that happened to be an EMT, and the coach standing over her.

What happened was--our player was sliding into home plate. The pitcher (covering home) hit our player with her knee in between her jaw bone and her collarbone-right on the neck. She didn't move for 15 minutes. Ashton went to sit behind home plate and she said you could hear her crying and moaning about how much pain she was in. Finally an ambulance came and they took her out on a stretcher.

That is the extent of the details that we know. It really freaked me out because this girl goes to our church, her mom is a nurse that I talk to several times a day, and Ashton practices with all of these girls. I also felt sorry for the pitcher that hit her. She was openly crying loudly and was trying to be consoled by her teammates. Truly a tough situation for her also.

On the way to the car I told Ashton to just stick with the flute--MUCH SAFER!

No comments: